If you came here looking for “how to mute Google Chrome tabs”, we can sympathize and the good news is that the answer is very simple. Chrome is the most popular web browser in existence and between searching for information, shopping or watching content, we tend to open countless tabs. Sometimes while browsing the web, we keep opening tab after tab and move on with our day. Unfortunately, sometimes in the midst of tabs that are rife with web travel, the site automatically plays audio from a video or ad, and background noise can be annoying and unwelcome.
Never fear, this how-to guide will help you mute the audio attack from those Chrome tabs no matter if you are using a Chromebook, MacBook or PC.
How to mute Google Chrome tabs
It’s easy to mute the sound in Google Chrome, just follow these simple steps:
1. While in the Chrome browser, open the website that you want to mute. Often times, websites will automatically play audio blasting videos to get your attention which is very annoying.
2. Right-click on this tab in the tab bar. (The Offense tab will show a small speaker icon to help summon itself.)
3. Once the popup appears, you will find the option “Mute site”, just select that and you will be back to your quiet browsing session.
Just by using this simple method, you can mute the annoying sound that may be playing automatically.
How to bring back the sound in a Google Chrome tab
If you thought that was easy, then unmute a tab in Google Chrome is simple and quick.
Just follow the easy steps:
1. In Google Chrome, open the website or search for it by searching for the speaker icon that appears in the tabs playing audio.
2. Next, right-click on the tab that you want to unmute.
3. Select the option that says ‘Unmute the site’.
The audio will now play back as you choose to punish yourself with background noise. I’m kidding, but this is really an easy way to mute and unmute audio while your tabs are on and it’s quick and easy but before you go, here’s a neat little trick.
Another trick to mute the sound
Some people like to use keyboard shortcuts to mute or unmute tabs or control other functions in Chrome. There are a lot of plugins to help users create keyboard shortcuts. Mute Tab Shortcuts is just an extension that you can download and use to quickly create keyboard shortcuts that you can access and use.
Enjoy muting to your heart’s content using either method. If you value learning these types of tips and tricks, you can check out the rest of the tips that will help you improve your day to day computing and technology experiences.